| Selection & Care
Congratulations on making the best environmental choice!
Go Green with a real Christmas tree.
- Real Christmas Trees are a recyclable and renewable resource. Trees can be converted into useful mulch after the holiday season. For every real Christmas tree harvested, an average of three seedlings are planted in its place. Here are some tips on selecting and caring for your real Indiana Fresh grown Christmas tree.
- Selecting a fresh cut real tree.
- Be sure to know what size (height & width) of tree you need.
- Measure your ceiling height where the tree will be displayed. Trees in the field look smaller than they really are.
- The type of tree you choose depends on your personal preferences. Go to tree types to learn about different tree varieties and their characteristics.
- To do a freshness test gently grasp a branch and pull it toward you. Only a few needles should come off in your hand if the tree is fresh. Shake or bounce the tree. Some loss of brown needles is normal but falling green needles is a warning sign that the tree is dry.
- Once you have purchased the perfect tree follow the care instructions below to keep it fresh throughout the Christmas season.
- Caring for your real Christmas tree is easy! The most important thing to remember is that real trees need water.
- Cut 1/2"or more off the base of the trunk before putting up the tree.
- Place the tree in your tree stand and fill it with fresh water.
- Don’t let the water level drop below the fresh cut on the base of the tree! If this happens a new seal will form and the tree will not take up any more water.
- Check the water level of your tree daily! Trees are very thirsty.
- Check all electric lights and connections before decorating your tree. Don’t use lights with worn or frayed cords. Don’t overload electrical circuits.
- Don’t place your tree near a fireplace, heat vent or other heat source. These elements can prematurely dry out your tree.
- Turn off all decorations before retiring at night and any time you leave your home.